Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Getzlaf will be sidelined for as many 12 days after undergoing an appendectomy scheduled for Wednesday, the team announced before its game Tuesday in Dallas.
The Ducks said in a team release that Getzlaf had been experiencing internal discomfort intermittenly over the past six weeks. He was sent back to Anaheim on Tuesday right in the middle of the team's current five-game road trip.
Anaheim has five games over the next 12 days and it's not really an easy schedule with games against Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville and a much improved Florida team on the horizon. For a Ducks team that is one of just four teams in NHL history and the first since 1931 to fail to score more than six goals in its first eight games, losing Getzlaf for any length of time is a major blow to the lineup.
The Ducks have already been shut out five times this season, have just one win in their first eight games and are already six points behind teams in a playoff position.
The 30-year-old Getzlaf has one assist in eight games this season. With him out of the lineup that means Ryan Kesler and Rickard Rakell are going to have to step up down the middle. That's easier said than done when you consider that Getzlaf is one of the best playmaking centers in the league. He has recorded at least 70 points in each of the past two seasons and has been a top-10 scorer in the league three times in his career.